How to Responsibly Soak Up the Sun.
1. Use coconut oil as a natural sunscreen to block 20 percent of harsh UV rays. By reapplying often and limiting your sun exposure to the ‘safe hours’, you can avoid lathering all that chemical cream on your skin entirely.
2. Only sunbathe during safe hours (before 11:00 am and after 4:00 pm).
3. If you know you’ll be exposed to the sun during peak hours, wear light clothing that covers your skin, and a hat. If you have to put sunscreen on to avoid burning your face, make sure you choose a natural brand that uses organic ingredients like Beaver.
4. Stay hydrated and consume plenty of fish oil. Omega-3 fatty acids (the good fats!) found in fish oils have been shown to effectively reduce to risk of skin cancer.
5. Boost your antioxidant levels and prevent free radical damage caused by sun exposure while quenching your thirst. Sarah Britton of My New Roots(one of my favourite individuals) created this amazing goji berry lemonade recipe that she refers to as ‘drink-able sunblock‘. Full recipe here.